Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions.
George Washington Carver showed that plant life was more than just food for animals and humans. Carver’s first step was to analyze plant parts to find out what they were made of. He then combined these simpler isolated substances with other substances to create new products.
The branch of chemistry that studies and finds ways to use raw materials from farm products to make industrial products is called chemurgy. Carver was one of the first and greatest chemurgists of all time. Today the science of chemurgy is better known as the science of synthetics. Each day people depend on and use synthetic materials made from raw materials. All his life Carver battled against the disposal of waste materials and wamed of the growing need to develop substitutes for the natural substances being used up by humans.
Carver never cared about getting credit for the new products he created. He never tried to patent his discoveries or get wealthy from them. He turned down many offers to leave Tuskegee Institute to become a rich scientist in private industry. Thomas Edison, inventor of the electric light, offered him a laboratory in Detroit to carry out food research. When the United States government made him a collaborator in the Mycology and Plant Disease Survey of the Department of Agriculture, he accepted the position with the understanding that he wouldn’t have to leave Tuskegee. As an authority on plant diseases – especially of the fungus variety – Carver sent hundreds of specimens to the United States Department of Agriculture. At the peak of his career, Carver’s fame and influence were known on every continent.
With what topic is the passage mainly concerned?
The work and career of George Washington Carver
The research conducted at Tuskegee Institute
The progress of the science of synthetics
The use of plants as a source of nutrition
Lời giải tham khảo:
Hãy chọn trả lời đúng trước khi xem đáp án và lời giải bên dưới.
Đề thi thử TN THPT QG năm 2021 môn ANH
Đáp án đúng: A
Bài đọc chủ yếu nói về nội dung gì?
A. Công việc và sự nghiệp của George Washington Carver.
B. Nghiên cứu được tiến hành ở viện Tuskegee
C. Tiến bộ của khoa học tổng hợp
D. Việc sử dụng thực vật như là nguồn dinh dưỡng.
Câu trắc nghiệm liên quan:
- I am sure he said something terrible to her because of her red eyes.
- My friend told me, ‘If I were you, I would not borrow the book from him.’
- There arent many other books which explain this problem so well
- Societies doubted about womens intellectual ability. Therefore, they could not get access to education.
- Thats the man. I told you about him yesterday.
- What can be inferred about the use of geothermal energy in Iceland?
- According to the passage, which of the following is true about solar power?
- According to the passage, how is solar energy production similar to geothermal energy production?l
- According to the passage, what can be inferred about solar roof tiles?