IX. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions:
Nepal has made important progress over the past few years to promote equality, but the country still has one of the highest rates of child marriage in the world. 41% of Nepalese girls are married before the age of 18.
Poverty is both a cause and consequence of child marriage in Nepal. Girls from the wealthiest families marry 2 years later than those from the poorest, who are seen as an economic burden, and who drop out of school and earn little money.
Food insecurity plays an important role too. Nepalese families that do not have enough food to eat are more likely to marry their daughters at a young age to decrease the financial burden. One study shows that 91% of people who had secure access to food married over the age of 19.
Dowry is also common practice in many communities. Parents marry their daughters as soon as possible because the money they have to pay to the groom’s family is higher if their daughter is older. Since 2010, the legal age of marriage is 20 for both men and women, or 18 with parental consent, according to the Nepalese Country Code.
The law states that punishment for child marriage is imprisonment for up to three years and a fine of up to 10,000 rupees (£102). But reports suggest that this law is rarely applied. There has been quite a lot of progress in Nepal over the past 3 years with a clear government commitment to ending child marriage and civil society cooperation. The Ministry of Women, Children and Social Welfare is currently developing Nepal’s first national strategy on child marriage in collaboration with UNICEF Nepal and Girls Not Brides Nepal. However, the post-earthquake and post-fuel crisis environment has meant progress is slow and the national strategy has been delayed.
(Adapted from http://www.girlsnotbrides.org/)
Which of the following best serves as the title for the passage?
Nepal Government in an attempt to reduce social inequality.
Child marriage – A completely tractable problem in Nepal.
Nepal’s strategies to child protection programming.
One type of child abuse in Nepal: Child Marriage.
Lời giải tham khảo:
chen-hinh-htn Hãy chọn trả lời đúng trước khi xem đáp án và lời giải bên dưới.
Đáp án đúng: D
Câu trắc nghiệm liên quan:
- Hans told us about his investment in the company. He did it on his arrival at the meeting.
- Susan didn’t apply for the job in the library. She regrets it now.
- Joey put all his money on the lottery, which was his big mistake.
- In Venezuela, beauty contests are more popular than football.
- “You should have informed me of the change in advance.” The boss said to his secretary.
- Those famous pictures hanging on the gallery wall painted in France.
- Her father used to be a distinguishable professor at the university. Many students worshipped him.
- My brother and I go sometimes swimming together with our uncle’s family.
- It can be inferred from the passage _________.