Read the following passage and choose A, B, C or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions from 38 to 42.
In this era of increased global warming and diminishing fossil fuel supplies, we must begin to put a greater priority on harnessing alternative energy sources. Fortunately, there are a number of readily available, renewable resources that are both cost- effective and earth – friendly. Two such resources are solar power and geothermal power.
Solar energy, which reaches the earth through sunlight, is so abundant that it could meet the needs of worldwide energy consumption 6,000 times over. And solar energy is easily harnessed through the use of photo voltaic cells that convert sunlight to electricity. In the us alone, more than 100, 000 homes are equipped with solar electric systems in the form of solar panels or solar roof tiles. And in other parts of the world, including many developing countries, the use of solar system is growing steadily.
Another alternative energy source, which is abundant in specific geographical areas, is geothermal power, which creates energy by tapping heat from below the surface of the earth. Hot water and steam that are trapped in underground pools are pumped to the surface and used to run a generator, which produces electricity. Geothermal energy is 50,000 times more abundant than the entire known supply of fossil fuel resources and as with solar power, the technology needed to utilize geothermal energy is fairly simple. A prime example of effective geothermal use in Iceland, a region of high geothermal activity where there are over 80 percent of private homes, are heated by geothermal power.
Solar and geothermal energy are just two of promising renewable alternatives to conventional energy sources. The time is long overdue to invest in the development and use of alternative energy on global scale.
What is the main topic of this passage?
The benefits of solar and wind power over conventional energy sources.
Two types of alternative energy sources that should be further utilized.
How energy resources are tapped from nature.
Examples of the use of energy sources worldwide.
Lời giải tham khảo:
chen-hinh-htn Hãy chọn trả lời đúng trước khi xem đáp án và lời giải bên dưới.
Đáp án đúng: B
Câu trắc nghiệm liên quan:
- Paragraphs 3 and 4 organize the discussion of leadership primarily in terms of___________
- The word resolve” in paragraph 4 is closest in meaning to___________
- It can be understood that___________
- The word collective” in paragraph 3 is closest in meaning to___________
- The passage indicates that instrumental leaders generally focus on___________
- Which of the following statements about leadership can be inferred from paragraph 2?
- The passage mentions all of the following ways by which people can become leaders EXCEPT___________
- What does the passage mainly
- What best describes the author’s purpose in writing the passage?